Thinking about the upcoming fall and winter and all these cozy knitting patterns has me relishing those warm, comfortable things we love in our lives. Aside from my favorite knit scarf or sweater, I love fleece as the weather gets colder. Who wouldn't love to snuggle down in bed with cozy fleece bedding made extra special with a monogram or animal applique. My kids and I dove right into these for a good book and cuddle. I also made some cases with ultra soft blanky fabric that doesn't have to be for babies only. This pillow case pattern is super easy and would be wonderful remade in the spring with your favorite cotton prints. Happy winter cuddles!
Super Cozy Pillow Case
¾ yard of non-pill fleece or ultra-cuddle fabric (main fabric)
⅓ yard quilter's cotton (decorative fabric
fusible webbing (like wonder-under)
1. Cut main fabric to 27 inches (¾ yard) by 40 inches. (If you end up slightly shorter than 27 inches due to straightening cuts from the fabric store, it’s fine).
2. Cut your decorative fabric to 12 inches by 40 inches, reserving excess for the monogram. (If you end up slightly shorter than 12 inches due to straightening cuts from the fabric store, it’s fine).
3. Print out monogram from computer. (I like Verdana at approximately 425 pt in bold type. This is just small enough to squeeze on to the remaining inches of most decorative fabric widths. ) Cut out letter and trace to rough side of fusible webbing.
4. Apply fusible webbing to fabric with iron(rough side down to the back of the fabric).
5. Trim away excess fabric.
6. Remove paper backing. With the short length (27 inches) of the fabric as the bottom, place the monogram 4 inches up from the bottom and away from the side. Be careful ironing the cuddle fabric as the dots tend to flatten out.
You can also use other fun appliqués, such as the elephant from these gift bags featured on Petite Purls previously.
7. Stitch around the fused applique with a zig-zag stitch.
8. Pin the decorative fabric to the main fabric, right sides together, along the long edge that is opposite where the monogram is placed.
9. Sew 5/8th seam and press seams open.
10. Fold and press 5/8” of the top of the decorative fabric.
11. Fold the decorative fabric in half, lining up the folded top with the sewn seam.
12. Top stitch the newly folded decorative fabric at 1/8 – 1/4” using your foot as a guide. Press the top edge of the decorative fabric.
13. Place right sides of the pillow case together, lining up main fabric, decorative fabric and seams and stitch around the case with a 5/8" seam, leave the top open. Press open seams.
14. Zig-zag stitch seam allowance of decorative fabric (no need with fleece as it won’t fray).
15. Clip the bottom corners of the case, about 1/4" away from the stitching. Turn inside out!
Anne Weil is a working mother of three lively and adventure-seeking kiddos. She knits, blogs, sews, designs and generates exciting crafty ideas at her blog. Anne relishes design that combines beauty with meaning. She loves creating things that stimulate the senses and makes that happy-making place inside you really hum.
Tutorial © 2011 Anne Weil. Contact
© Copyright Petite Purls 2011